The mnemonic RACE may help you remember what to do during a fire:
- R – Rescue & Remove anyone from immediate danger from a fire. Try to keep groups/classes together.
- A – Alarm. Activate the nearest fire alarm and call 911 with important information.
- C – Contain. Help contain the spread of the fire by closing doors in the area. Always feel of a door for heat before opening.
E – Extinguish. You may be able to extinguish small fires (about the size of an office trash can). Do not waste evacuation time or put yourself in danger by trying to extinguish a fire. Evacuate for all fires & fire alarms.
Once you are a safe distance from the building, reunite with your group to make sure everyone is safe. Do not attempt to reenter a building.
To operate a fire extinguisher, remember PASS:
- P – Pull the pin
- A – Aim the extinguisher at the base of the fire
- S – Squeeze the handle
- S – Sweep from side to side at the base of the fire