If indoors, Drop, Cover, and Hold On:
- Drop – Get low to the ground
- Cover – Get under a table or desk and cover your head & neck
- Hold on – Hold on until the shaking stops
- Do not evacuate until the shaking stops and it is safe to move.
- Stay away from buildings, trees, poles, and other structures.
- Continue to keep clear of buildings and other structures. There could still be a risk of collapse.
If in a vehicle:
- Stop the vehicle away from buildings, poles, overpasses or other structures.
- Remain in the vehicle and avoid driving over bridges or other roadways that may have been damaged.
After an earthquake:
- Anticipate aftershocks.
- Be aware of other hazards (gas leaks, electrical wires, unstable structures, etc)
- Assist others to safety.
- Do not attempt to enter a building that has been damaged.
- Report injuries and problems to 911.