Campus Evacuation Guidelines
In the event of a campus evacuation, Maroon Alert would provide instructions and other available information. To exit campus quickly and safely, consider the following:
- Plan for an evacuation before an emergency occurs. You should avoid:
- Congested areas and intersections
- Construction zones
- Emergency or dangerous areas
- Remain calm as you evacuate and encourage others to do the same.
- Use caution when walking & driving. Increased pedestrian traffic should be expected.
- Depending on the emergency, Contra-flow of traffic may be used. Emergency responders may be entering campus.
- Do not walk through campus to get to your car or room. Your goal should be to get out of harm's way.
- Consider walking instead of driving. This helps reduce traffic on the road and may be a faster way off campus.
- The SMART shuttles may be used to aid in an evacuation, depending on the emergency. However, do not attempt to stop a moving bus or board a bus that is full.
- Use caution at intersections. Law enforcement may be involved in emergency response and may not be available to direct traffic.
- Discuss an off-campus reunification location with family & friends.
- Be patient. You should expect delays during an emergency evacuation.