Violence & Threats of Violence
Threats of violence or dangerous situations
- Leave the area and get to a safety.
- Call 911 and describe the incident and those involved.
- Do not put yourself in harm’s way to break up an argument.
- Contact the police, if possible
- Avoid actions that could result in further harm of you or others
- Don’t speak unless spoken to
- Position yourself away from windows & doors
- Remain calm and make mental notes of the suspects
An Active Threat may be someone with a gun, knife, car, or other weapon. The person is indiscriminately attacking targets or opportunity. Mississippi State University recommends remembering Avoid, Deny, Defend to help your response.
- Avoid – Get away from the threat.
- Deny – If you cannot escape, lock or block yourself into a room. Turn off lights and your cellphone ringer
- Defend – If you are unable to Avoid or Deny, you may need to defend yourself from an attacker. Coordinate with others and use any objects around you as weapons.